Family Targeted Variant Testing
PreventionGenetics offers no-cost targeted testing for pathogenic, likely pathogenic, and uncertain variants in family members of patients tested at our laboratory.
Requirements to qualify for no-cost family testing:
- The individual originally tested (proband) had full gene, panel, exome, or genome testing at PreventionGenetics.
- The family member is a blood relative of the proband.
- The targeted test order and specimen are received within 90 days after the original proband report was issued.
- Variants must be sequence-based (nucleotide substitutions and indels) to qualify for free testing. Structural variants and repeat expansions do not qualify.
If targeted testing is being performed prenatally in an ongoing pregnancy, our targeted prenatal testing policy and pricing apply. In cases where the original test was ordered prenatally, family members qualify for no-cost targeted testing if the other requirements are met.
How to order family targeted testing
Complete pages 1 and 2 of the Targeted Variant Test Requisition Form (TRF), paying special attention to the following:
- Under patient information, enter the proband’s information (PG ID# preferred) into the section that says "Has patient’s relative been previously tested at PreventionGenetics?"
- Select the appropriate test code for the number of variants being tested and enter the gene and variant information.
- Check the "no charge" box under the Special Instructions section.